Make your mornings better by serving up a bowl of goodness your body will thank you for! Winter mornings can be hard enough having to force yourself out of your cosy bed to face the cold, so opting for a warm bowl of porridge really does hit the spot on those extra chilly mornings!
Whether it be oats, oatmeal or porridge these little pieces of wholegrains hold the delicious super powers we need to ensure a fully functioning mind and body throughout our busy day ahead. Being a naturally Low GI food, they release energy slowly allowing us to stay alert for longer whilst also contributing a hearty dose of Vitamin B1, and assisting in lowering our cholesterol.
The ultimate breakfast? We think so!
To tempt you even further take a look at our favourite porridge toppings which will add an extra boost to your breakfast bowl.
• Fresh berries (or the frozen kind slightly defrosted)
• Banana (if you’re feeling super fancy try grilling it in a bit of coconut oil and sprinkle with coconut sugar = heaven)
• Seasonal stone fruit (peaches, pears, plums, apricots, even the canned variety but just be cautious of added sugar)
• Crushed nuts (brazil, walnuts, slivered almonds)
• Toasted coconut flakes
• Chia seeds
• Cacao nibs
• Sunflower and Pepita seeds
• Goji berries
• Natural peanut butter
• Maple syrup
Converted? Here’s our fail-safe recipe for making the perfect porridge:
What you need:
• 50g porridge oats
• 350ml milk or water(for a lower calorie option), or a mixture of the two. Coconut milk or Almond milk, makes for an extra creamy healthier option)
Pop the oats in a saucepan and pour in the milk or water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring often to avoid the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan! Or you can try this in a microwave; mix the oats, milk or water a large microwave proof bowl (the porridge expands quite rapidly so make sure the bowl is big enough), then microwave on High for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through. Leave to stand for 2 minutes before adding your favorite topping! Voila!